Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year...

It's the first day of a New Year. As I sit here looking out my window and wonder why we are getting 5 to 7 inches more snow today (I mean, Really....isn't 5 feet enough?), my mind starts to reflect over the past year.

There were many events that happened that were beyond my control, yet we managed to survive them all. My family had some health scares, close friends lost people very close to them, students of mine survived events in their lives that no 9 or 10 year old should ever experience, and a few relationships changed or, sadly, ended.

I can't think about the struggles and sad times of the past year without then thinking about all the wonderful things that happened. (I sometimes think we are given trials and tribulations so that we will appreciate all of the wonderful things that happen in our lives, no matter how big or small.)

The happier times of 2008! We had four graduations in our family. Shannon, my daughter turned 18 and graduated from high school. Another adult enters our world. She started college, passed all of her classes and continues to work part time. She is doing great! Scott, my son, graduated from Washington State University. After four and half years, he can finally say "I did it!" He even has a job....I'm very thankful for that! My nieces live in Colorado and they both reached the same milestones. Amy graduated from high school and is going to college. Lauren graduated from college and has a job, as well. Good job, girls! There are some mighty proud grandparents in Washington state!

Another huge event was the engagement of Scott and Holly. After three and a half years, Scott "popped the question" on Oct. 16th. He got down on one knee and then had planned a surprise engagement party with their friends after. Way to go, Scott! I am a very proud mom! We have already considered Holly part of the family, but now it's going to be official! Their wedding will be a great memory for 2009.

I finished and started another year of teaching fourth grade. There are times when I can get caught up with the stress of preparing my students to pass every test that our state can throw at them, but then I step back and remind myself that they are 9 and 10 years old. When I do that, I actually learn from them. They have a way of just taking life as it comes. They cope and survive and even have fun with it! We live by this little phrase in our room, "Not to worry!"

2009....

I consider joining the masses and hope to lose a few pounds, go back to the gym, plan financially, consider getting my National Certification, be a better mom, teacher and friend.....

In all seriousness, I believe that we need to try to learn from obstacles we encounter and even mistakes we have made. The most important lesson I think I have learned is to appreciate each day with our loved ones....make the most of it. Life is short and changes in the blink of an eye.

With that in mind, I am not going to make a list of all those resolutions that I may or may not keep. This year, I have one goal....I will wake up happy and focus on what I have done, not what I haven't. After all, I am blessed with a wonderful family, great friends and a job that I love!

Happy 2009!

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails